A former adviser to the Japanese cabinet has revealed the government has known for months that thousands of evacuees from around the Fukushima nuclear plant will not be able to return to their homes.
Nearly seven months after the meltdowns at Fukushima, about 80,000 people are still living in shelters or temporary housing.
Former special adviser to Japan’s prime minister and cabinet Kenichi Matsumoto has told the ABC that the government has known for months that many who live close to the Fukushima plant will not be able to return to their homes for 10 to 20 years because of contamination.
Read the rest of the story: Japan ‘scared’ of telling truth to Fukushima evacuees.
Japan’s Prime Minister Naoto Kan said Tuesday he would not accept his premier’s wage until a crisis at the tsunami-hit Fukushima nuclear plant is over and pledged a full review of the country’s energy policy.
Kan was speaking hours after about 100 villagers who fled their homes near the stricken plant made brief but emotional return journeys into the rural no-man’s land in radiation suits and masks to pick up personal belongings.
Japan was plunged into a nuclear crisis by the March 11 quake-tsunami that hit the plant, causing partial reactor meltdowns, explosions and radiation leaks in the world’s worst atomic accident since Chernobyl 25 years ago.
FUKUSHIMA — The government will allow those who evacuated from the 20-km radius no-go zone around the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant to visit their homes for up to five hours, officials said Monday.
The announcement was made as prefectural officials were preparing to cull dying livestock in the fallout-contaminated area.
Prime Minister Naoto Kan said at the Diet that he would like to see the evacuees’ visits begin after the Golden Week holidays through early May. The details were explained to municipalities in the 20-km hot zone, which was legally designated as off-limits last week.
Read the rest of the story: Evacuees get home visits of five hours.