The 21-year-old suspect in the Feb. 12 rampage on the Pacific island of Guam that left three dead and several others injured on Wednesday pleaded not guilty by reason of mental illness.
Chad Ryan Desoto entered the plea through his lawyer at his arraignment hearing held in the Superior Court of Guam.
Judge Alberto Tolentino subsequently ordered a psychological evaluation of Desoto and set his next court appearance for March 20.
Many of the victims of a frenzied knife attack in the Pacific nation of Guam had been on the island to attend a wedding, it emerged Thursday, as the death toll from the attack rose to three.
Survivors and witnesses told of their horror as a man clutching foot-long (30 centimetre) knives in each hand launched a bloody attack on unsuspecting holidaymakers after ploughing into them with his car.
All 14 victims, including an eight-month-old baby and a three-year-old toddler, were Japanese.
Two women, 29-year-old Rie Sugiyama and her grandmother Kazuko Uehara, 81, were pronounced dead on Wednesday. A third victim, a so-far unidentified 51-year-old man, succumbed to his injuries on Thursday, medics said.
Sugiyama’s heartbroken father, who was also in Guam for his son’s wedding, told Japan’s Kyodo News: “I want my daughter back. This attack deprived me of not only my mother but also my daughter.
“Why do we have to encounter a random killer in Guam?”
Read the rest of the story: Third Japanese dies after Guam tourist attack.