The Democratic Party of Japan-led government will for the time being not release video footage of last month’s collisions involving a Chinese trawler and Japan Coast Guard patrol boats in the East China Sea, sources said Friday.
The stance reflects concerns that its release would further damage Japan-China relations, which soured after the arrest and detention of the trawler skipper, the sources said.
Bilateral tensions appear to be slowly easing, as seen by the recent departure of two Chinese fisheries patrol boats near the Senkaku Islands, which Japan controls but China claims. Prime Minister Naoto Kan and his counterpart, Wen Jiabao, held talks earlier in the week on the sidelines of a meeting in Brussels.
Read the rest of the story: Senkaku video to stay under wraps.